Your privacy is critically important to me. At Adlaya’s Art, I have a few fundamental principles:
- I am thoughtful about the personal information I ask you to provide and the personal information that I collect about you through the operation of my services.
- I store personal information for only as long as I have a reason to keep it.
- I aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information on your website is shared publicly (or kept private), indexed by search engines, and permanently deleted.
- I help protect you from overreaching government demands for your personal information.
- I aim for full transparency on how I gather, use, and share your personal information.
Who is Adlaya’s Art and What This Policy Covers
Adlaya’s Art provides quality pet and wildlife portraits, art prints, digital portraits, greeting cards, products, blog posts, and tutorials.
- My websites (including adlayasart.ca, ourwildworld.ca);
- My social media sites (including facebook.com/adlayasart, facebook.com/adlayasdesigns, facebook.com/ourwildworld, twitter.com/adlayasanimals, twitter.com/adlayasart, instagram.com/adlaya, instagram.com/adlayasdesigns, instragram.com/adlayasanimals);
- My online shops (including etsy.com/shop/adlayasart, patreon.com/ourwildworld)
Below I explain how I collect, use, and share information about you, along with the choices that you have with respect to that information.
Creative Commons Sharealike License
Information I Collect
I only collect information about you if I have a reason to do so — for example, to provide my Services, to communicate with you, or to make my Services better.
I collect this information from three sources: if and when you provide information to me, automatically through operating my Services, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that I collect.
Information You Provide to Me
It’s probably no surprise that I collect information that you provide to me directly. Here are some examples:
- Contact information: When commissioning a portrait or getting in touch with Adlaya’s Art, certain information is required in order to process your request. This can include your full name, email or phone number, and the type of portrait you’re looking for. In order to deliver products to you, your shipping address will be collected. If you have booked a portrait, I will collect photographs of the pet to be drawn.
- Adlaya’s Art may collect your name, email, phone number, home address, pet name, and photos of your pet
- Though Adlaya’s Art does not directly collect payment information or store any payment information, third parties such as PayPal, Interac, and Etsy may collect this information when you purchase an Adlaya’s Art product. To learn more about how those companies collect and store your personal information, please visit their privacy policies.
- When visiting my online shops: To fulfil your order, you must provide me with certain information (which you authorised Etsy to provide to me), such as your name, email address, postal address, payment information, and the details of the product that you’re ordering. You may also choose to provide me with additional personal information (for a custom portrait, for example), if you contact me directly.
- Communications with me: You may also provide me with information when you fill out contact forms, communicate with me with to ask a question, post a comment, or sign up for a newsletter like the one I send through MailChimp. When you communicate with me via form, email, phone, comment, or otherwise, I store a copy of our communications.
Information I Collect Automatically
I also collect some information automatically:
- Log information: Like most online service providers, I collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, including the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
- Location information: I may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. I collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit my Services from certain geographic regions.
How and Why I Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
In order to provide you with the best possible service, Adlaya’s Art needs to collect certain personal information. Contact information such as your name, email, phone number, home address, and pet information is collected when you commission a portrait. This allows me to contact you to arrange the details of your portrait and keep you updated when the portrait is complete.
I use information about you for the purposes listed below:
- To provide my Services. For example, to answer questions, provide pet or wildlife portraits, communicate with you, or sell products.
- To ensure quality, maintain safety, and improve my Services. For example, by monitoring and analyzing how users interact with my Services so I can create new products or services for my users.
- To market my Services and measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of my marketing. For example, by targeting my marketing messages to groups of my users, advertising my Services, analyzing the results of my marketing campaigns, and understanding and forecasting user retention.
- To protect my Services, my users, and the public. For example, by detecting security incidents; detecting and protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; fighting spam; complying with my legal obligations; and protecting the rights and property of Adlaya’s Art and others, which may result in me, for example, declining a transaction or terminating Services.
- To fix problems with my Services. For example, by monitoring, debugging, repairing, and preventing issues.
- To communicate with you. For example, by emailing you to ask for your feedback, share tips for getting the most out of my products, or keep you up to date on Adlaya’s Art; or to update you on the status of an order or Service. You will not receive marketing emails unless you specifically opt in to receive them.
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about my legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws: I rely on a number of legal bases to collect, use, and share your information, including:
- as needed to provide my services, such as when I use your information to fulfil your order, to settle disputes, or to provide customer support;
- when you have provided your affirmative consent, which you may revoke at any time, such as by signing up for my mailing list;
- if necessary to comply with a legal obligation or court order or in connection with a legal claim, such as retaining information about your purchases if required by tax law; and
Where is your personal information stored?
Personal information is stored electronically on a computer, to which the owner of Adlaya’s Art is the only one who has access. Contact information sent via email, social media or contact forms is stored through emails or messaging history through email or social media providers, such as Gmail, MailChimp, Facebook, and Instagram. All accounts are password protected and passwords are updated every six months.
Transfers of Personal Information Outside the EU
I may store and process your information through third-party hosting services in the US and other jurisdictions. As a result, I may transfer your personal information to a jurisdiction with different data protection and government surveillance laws than your jurisdiction. If I am deemed to transfer information about you outside of the EU, I rely on Privacy Shield as the legal basis for the transfer, as Google Cloud, including Google Docs, Sheets, and Gmail is Privacy Shield certified.
How I Share Information
I share information about you in limited circumstances, and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy. These are spelled out below:
- Service providers. I engage certain trusted third parties to perform functions and provide services to my shop, such as delivery companies. I will share your personal information with these third parties, but only to the extent necessary to perform these services.
- Software. I use certain software to manage aspects of my business, such as my mailing list and newsletter. In this case, I require explicit consent from you to share your information with the third party provider (Mail Chimp), and only use this information to provide the newsletter and generate data.
- Production partners. For some of my products, I use third parties to produce and deliver orders to you (such as the company Printful, which produces and ships t-shirts, mugs, stickers and more and ships them to you) In this case, your information is shared with the third party to the extent necessary to fulfill your order.
- Business transfers. If I sell or merge my business, I may disclose your information as part of that transaction, only to the extent permitted by law.
- Compliance with laws. I may collect, use, retain, and share your information if I have a good faith belief that it is reasonably necessary to: (a) respond to legal process or to government requests; (b) enforce my agreements, terms and policies; (c) prevent, investigate, and address fraud and other illegal activity, security, or technical issues; or (d) protect the rights, property, and safety of my customers, or others.
- Third-party vendors. I may share information about you with third-party vendors who need the information in order to provide their services to me, or to provide their services to you. This includes vendors that help me provide my Services to you (like Etsy.com, Patreon.com, PayPal, postal and email delivery services that help my stay in touch with you, customer chat and email support services that help me communicate with you); those that assist me with my marketing efforts (e.g., by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving my marketing campaigns, and by placing ads to market my services); those that help us understand and enhance my Services (like analytics providers); those that make tools to help my run my operations (like programs that help me with task management, scheduling, word processing, email and other communications); other third-party tools that help me manage operations.
- With your consent. I may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, I may share your information with third parties when you authorize me to do so.
- Aggregated or de-identified information. I may share information that has been aggregated or de-identified, so that it can no longer reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, I may publish aggregate statistics about the use of my Services.
Under a new California law, the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), some personalized advertising you see online and on my services might be considered a “sale” even though I don’t share information that identifies you personally, like your name or email address, as part of my advertising program.
You have choices about these ads, learn more about them and the ads program provided by my web provider.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is — you guessed it — disclosed publicly.
Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share publicly, including likes, comments and sharing my services on social media and other websites.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the information that you provide: If you choose to contact Adlaya’s Art, you can limit what information you provide, however this may impact the services I am able to offer
- Opt out of marketing communications: You must explicitly opt in to receive marketing emails from Adlaya’s Art, and once you have opted in you are able to opt out at any time.
If you are located in certain parts of the world, including California and countries that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (aka the “GDPR”), you may have certain rights regarding your personal information, like the right to request access to or deletion of your data.
- Access. You may have the right to access and receive a copy of the personal information I hold about you by contacting me using the contact information below.
- Change, restrict, delete. You may also have rights to change, restrict my use of, or delete your personal information. Absent exceptional circumstances (like where I am required to store data for legal reasons) I will generally delete your personal information upon request.
- Object. You can object to (i) my processing of some of your information based on my legitimate interests and (ii) receiving marketing messages from me after providing your express consent to receive them. In such cases, I will delete your personal information unless I have compelling and legitimate grounds to continue using that information or if it is needed for legal reasons.
- Complain. If you reside in the EU and wish to raise a concern about my use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local data protection authority.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires me to provide California residents with some additional information about the categories of personal information I collect and share, where I get that personal information, and how and why I use it.
The CCPA also requires me to provide a list of the “categories” of personal information I collect, as that term is defined in the law, so, here it is. In the last 12 months, I collected the following categories of personal information from California residents, depending on the Services used:
- Identifiers (like your name, contact information, and device and online identifiers);
- Commercial information (your billing information and purchase history, for example);
- Characteristics protected by law (for example, you might provide your gender as part of a research survey for me);
- Internet or other electronic network activity information (such as your usage of my Services);
- Geolocation data (such as your location based on your IP address);
- Audio, electronic, visual or similar information (such as a pet picture, if you are commissioning a portrait);
- Inferences I make (such as likelihood of retention or attrition).
You can find more information about what I collect and sources of that information in the Information I Collect section above.
I collect personal information for the business and commercial purposes described in the How and Why I Use Information section. And I share this information with the categories of third parties described in the Sharing Information section.
If you are a California resident, you have additional rights under the CCPA, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the right to:
- Request to know the categories of personal information I collect, the categories of business or commercial purpose for collecting and using it, the categories of sources from which the information came, the categories of third parties I share it with, and the specific pieces of information I collect about you;
- Request deletion of personal information we collect or maintain;
- Opt out of any sale of personal information; and
- Not receive discriminatory treatment for exercising your rights under the CCPA.
The CCPA & Personalized Advertising in Our Ads Program
The personal information we share includes online identifiers; internet or other network or device activity (such as cookie information, other device identifiers, and IP address); and geolocation data (approximate location information from your IP address). These disclosures may be considered a “sale” of information under the CCPA. I do not sell (or share) information through our ads program that identifies you personally, like your name or contact information. I don’t knowingly sell personal information of those under 16. Learn how you can opt out by going to California: Do Not Sell My Personal Information.
Contacting Me About These Rights
If you’d like to contact me about one of the other rights, scroll down to “How to Reach Me”
When you contact me about one of your rights under this section, I’ll need to verify that you are the right person before I disclose or delete anything. You can also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf by giving me written authorization. I may still require you to verify your identity.
How to Reach Me
For purposes of EU data protection law, I, Laura Harper, am the data controller of your personal information. If you have any questions or concerns, you may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, you may mail me at:
Laura Harper, 85 Stevenson St North, Guelph, On, N1E 5A6, Canada.
Ads and Analytics Services Provided by Others
- Updated August 19th, 2021
- Updated July 26th, 2021.